Wednesday 13 September 2017

ALL MUSIC ARE COMERCIAL MUSIC



INTERVIEW WITH FAMOUS AFROBEAT MUSICIAN EDAOTO ON HIS MUSIC AND PHILOSOPHY




 E.P: can we know you 


Answer: My name is Edaoto Agbeniyi  from Agbeniyi Awoyokun family as you know I am a musician and I have acted in a couple of films,  e.g. I was in ABOUT TO WED:by greg odutayo,  LEGEND OF OYA directed  by LEKAN  BALOGUN and MALAIKA by aisha and kabira kafidipe and other stage plays.

E.P: The inspiration for music when the you decided that it is music that could bring the satisfaction you need in life?
Answer: Like I always said I have always been a musician and afro beat is the genre later people began to call it afro folk or any other name they like but the genre that called me is afro beat with the infusion of folklores but I formed my band in June 1999 and different people have come in some are have left but it is a thing of joy that the band had been formed it is known as Edaoto and his Afro genius band.

E.P: we know that afro beat music is centered on African projection of earlier musical forms and had a forerunner in FELA ANIKULAPO KUTI what was your intention in playing afro beat with lot of folklores.

Answer:  The reason i play afrobeat is not because nigeria music is lopsided but because afrobeat called me i formed my band in 1999 and of that time nigeria music wasn't this watered down, playing afro beat on its own is a call that i answered the  reason why I play afro beat is that in the last twenty years Nigerian music has lost it form, losing the whole sense of who we are as a people culture and music wise. So nobody works on those values anymore because they want to play commercial music, I do not know what commercial music is because every music is commercial with targets audience but now to promote music you have to have big budget to promote your music. Hence most of the musicians today tends to forget about our values as a people or projecting the image of the core African values. I want to tell you when you cut yourself away from the past you lose where you are coming from for the present.
My thinking is that we should bring the past to our present so that we can further a path for our self.  If you play music that has to do folklorerish  embellishment it could allow us to know where we are coming from it is for us; for example if you look at Ghana they have  high life and fussed it with hip hop to balance it not a total break. They move from there high life and embellish it with a new music culture, slavery cannot remove the African culture, custom, music and way of life. African has one of the most advance technology I do not know what they call Ijabe, Olo, Odo which was invented by our  forebears over thirty thousand years ago  which was not known to the white man  of course we have one of the most  terrible  experience of slavery in Africa  but before  then  we have been prince and princes,  king and queens  look at the pyramid built by Africans probably  blacks  in Egypt.

E.P: But this shift towards commercial music that have no African perception is what is been celebrated by people?

Answer: Yes except for few musician who are sensible enough to play the fussion of this with African music like I always said my music is purely
African am using myself as a guinea pig in playing completely African music with Folklores embellishment      in it.

E.P: you said in Ghana we have a fussion of high life with hip hop: what stop us from using the same method music wise in nigeria because the music that can sell and bring money must be commercial really.

Answer: You see how people are so hypocritical about  how  we attend to issues in Africa let me share an example, they was a big man who came to watch my play and as I came down from the stage he called me and told me you play good music solid African music, I said talk to my manager if you know  we play great music since you are a multinational why  have you not promote us by given  us shows he said  their boss in the office knows we play good music but would prefer to promote those that have  been played on the radio. He said we don’t have followership.
Now my take I don’t have any problem with those artist that promote such music but it is the system that birth to them, the system that gave them the ground to triumph, the system that nourish the ground but if the system has been properly tailored to promote progressive music that is riched with          African music but it is unfortunate that the artist are not the problem but the system. If you see the energy put into the music perhaps if the system has been tailored to promote African music the guy would have done something great, when they sang remove your part, and trouser you won’t want your       children to listen to it but this are the guys that are contacted to play at parties and giving massive promotion and support we are not truthful to ourselves.
They promote sex, gambling, drugs, gangsterism through music but I have no problem with them.

E.P: What project are you involved in music wise?

Answer: I have several albums including about eight albums with akeem lasisi of punch news papers of course you were at LNG CORA BOOK Party and you saw me on stage with the poets. I am the must featured musician with Nigerian Poets  akeem lasisi was the first person to take poetry to television with me the first one about 15 years ago. we released critical speaking through mania  records,  my band as always be on tour  South Africa, central Africa and the  US and my music is always online just google my  name you will get my music, the current programme  we release a new album today  titled RORA it is online  we play every first Thursday  at freedom park in Lagos

E.P: Your altitude to Government patronage of the art?

Answer: I am a great critic of every government in Nigeria because there are anti-people but the last seventeen years of  civilian rule as been the worst, anybody expecting something from Nigeria government   is deceiving  himself.
We have politicians  whose  recurrent  expenditure is greater than  the capital expenditure they have been the  most dangerous we have seen in Government APC and PDP are the same, no ideology   the same sets of people.

E.P: What inspires you when choosing your songs?

Answer: I don’t drink when I want to  write my songs/ music, my muse brings my music to me            because of things that happens around me so the inspiration just come naturally from my environment through my muse.

E.P: What is your message to your fans?

Answer: I will tell them to fight on because what I see all around me is suffering strangulations and lies everywhere, if you listen to my music you would see me sing about our struggle as a people under oppressive government and policies.

No comments:

Post a Comment