Tuesday 19 September 2017

I DO MORE OF INTELLECTUAL PERFORMANCE NOW






I DO MORE OF INTELLECTUAL PERFORMANCE NOW  


INTERVIEW WITH AMBASSSADOR ADEDAYO LAIDI (IJODEE) PRESIDENT GUILD OF NIGERIA DANCERS (G.O.N.D)

E.P: Your incursion into dance how did it start?

Answer: I start dancing when I was very small at the age of 5/6 years during festivals it was more or less started during family gathering then in primary school up to secondary school and polytechnic yabatech. I decided that I don’t want to do what my father really wanted me to do that is to be an engineer then I changed my thought to be a dancer  in school in France it was a French government’s scholarship that was how I travelled out of Nigeria for the first time to study dance and choreographer after that I have six other scholarship to study dance in France, Germany, Senegal, Australia, Korea.
 E.P: People see dance as more strenuous you have to keep your body in shape how did you keep away from those vices (habits) that we indulge in?

Answer: It is not so easy for any artist not to have some habits which people have but you must have what is called discipline coupled with good food and exercise you keep your head high also one should be careful with the type of friends you keep of course one will have made one mistakes or the other which is normal you adjust and move on with life, dance is like football as you get older you do things that your body would agree with you look at other things that you can do as of today am a dance director, dance consultant, producer, festival director I equally coordinate shows I still dance but to select audience where I perform for governors, diplomats it is more of intellectual performance I can’t go and dance for school children at my age am going to fifty even though people say I have a small body these days I work 100% with my brain and 30% percent with my body I have many assistants working with me I have my own dance organization I have my own dance festival there is one for the 36 states for the federation known as TRUFESTA am equally using this platform to hand over to the next generation. I have about three festivals in a year all are dance festivals.

E.P: What are you doing to encourage the youths?

Answer: I have said it already, I normally have 3 or 4 annual workshops; I organize dance training programmes where I invite dancers from outside the country from Africa, Asia and Europe. I started encouraging the youths many years now I even organize residences programmes to encourage them, the last work shop I did was in Abuja am the president of GOND we organize a dance seminar in Lagos last month also through TRUFESTA international festival I do collaborations I organize residence programmes for the youths taking them outside the country to live in these foreign countries God has used me to help at least 60 dancers to go outside the country some are back now as dance instructors in the country the government doesn’t see these they focus too much on oil and football

 E.P: Your take on government attitude to the art?

Answer: I see my self as an entrepreneur and I can be waiting for the government I have never waited for government all my life although we think differently some of my colleagues will always wait for the government even when I was young I don’t wait for my daddy I do things by myself my father always testify to that, I make things happen for people I don’t wait for things to happen even for people to keep them busy even the less privilege so today I have dancers that I have helped to the U.S, Germany, Holland, France, Austria and Korea likewise some are in Asia where I have strong contacts for them to be able to use the platform of dance to be somebody in life I do this through residence programmes abroad.

E.P: How can dancers contact you?

Answer: Through social media I think I left Nigeria 1994 for 8 years it was off and on but in 2002 I decide to come to Nigeria to  work with other dancers because I myself was trained by other people we tour the world and came first in Africa even the Big Brother contestants like Thin Tall Tony he was with me for many years also another guy in the same competition Frank Koway were part of my dancers my artist are also part of the BBN they are best trained and discipline but the government I have tried everything possible to link them to support what we are doing but because we are not politicians they don’t acknowledge our efforts but by and large what am happy about is that I have been able to tell Nigerian dancers that dance is a profession that is worth it, it is a noble profession not an hobby from which they can make money and fame.

E.P: There is spectacle of dance and music going together you have done a lot of collaboration how did that happen especially Olori Oko?

Answer: I think for me if your music is good and have the type of message that is good for the society the one I did with Olori Oko, Project Fame, with Edaoto, one for Nigeria dance work out I am keen on inspirational music I am a father I want my children to see me as a father not just a role model but a good one at that.

E.P: For somebody to excel in dance what should be your advice to them with your experience

Answer: I started dancing because I have passion for it but in 1995 I started making like hundred thousand so I was surprised even when the money started coming I was not taking cognizance of it I was more interested in the message am passing through dance to the people they have to be steadfast, work hard and believe in themselves. Am in dance business because I am a business man now am a consultant be patient a step at a time wait for your own time life is turn by turn be very very prayerful, believe in God because without God nothing is possible.

E.P: Your humility touched me at our first encounter?

Answer: I always believe you don’t need to over hype yourself I believe my parents have done a lot of work on me which is what I tell my children now to be humble and respect people which is very important especially now when people who have nothing to offer would sing about million million naira it is good to have money but bring your head down for God to bless you be humble.

E.P: How lucrative is the dance profession especially to many people who would like to make dance a profession?

Answer: Dance is lucrative if you do it the right way if you don’t do it the right way you won’t be able to get anything there is the business aspect of dance equally there is a corporate aspect of dance that’s why I said it is step by step I have been in these business for 25 years now but the young generation want everything quick (instantly). Don’t over hype yourself I know projects that I can collect 1 million but I don’t want it to be my priority I need the money but money is not the ultimate without money I won’t be able to do anything I don’t let money be my first priority.

E.P: Tell us about your family?

Answer: Yes am married with three kids and God has been taking care of my family he has done beyond my imagination I give God the glory.

E.P: Your message to your fans

Answer: My message to my fans? I called them followers because when you called them fans is like you are be little them, they are my family and friends and I will continue to do my best not to let them down I like them to continue to pray from for good health and for me to be able to bring new creativity into dance.

E.P: What would you like to say to your daughter who is celebrating her birthday today?

Answer: Em to my daughter Ayomide that is celebrating her birthday today I want to let you know that daddy love you and I will continue to support you to become all that God have sent you to become on Earth and I know you will get to your destination Happy Birthday my daughter Ayomide God Bless you.                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment